Frequently Asked Questions
Our Frequently Asked Questions are listed below. There are 3 categories of FAQ
Leadership Performance Coaching
In today’s fast-paced, dynamic and ever-changing business climate, leaders must at once keep pace with the market while remaining proactive in developing their own – and their team member’s – abilities.
Many leaders are turning to coaches who can serve as a trust ally, guide, friend and motivator. And, just like a sports coach, the Game Within’s Total Leadership Performance Coach works with leaders and their teams to develop a customized approach to developing Total Leaders.
Studies on coaching report a return of 5 to 7 times the initial investment.1 That’s because coaching is both immersive and non-disruptive. It can be customized to address individual needs, with week-to-week support and opportunities to integrate learning into real life work experiences. This is in stark contrast to training programs, wherein learning is forgotten in three months if it is not supported.
Additionally, there are myriad examples of ROI from several business impact studies of coaching. Finding include the following:2
- 28% of coaching clients in one study claimed they had learned enough to boost quantifiable job performance-whether in sales, productivity or profits-by $500,000 to $1 million.
- In a study on executive coaching ROI, a large employer in the hospitality industry saved between $30 million and $60 million by coaching its top 200 executives.
- One coaching firm reported that they saved their clients $100,000 by retaining two key executives, improved efficiency for account managers and improved sales in excess of $250,000, improved customer retention and satisfaction that resulted in savings of more than $100,000.
Finally, in a survey of 4000+ corporations on their involvement with corporate coaching3, the primary benefits of coaching reported are (in order):
- Improved individual performance
- Bottom line results (including profit)
- Client service and competitiveness
- Development of people for the next level, including confidence raising, skills and self empowerment, goal achievement, relationship improvements, and retention.
Individual Benefits: In a study of 100 executives from Fortune 1000 companies who received coaching for 6 months to one year4, the benefits to executives who received coaching were improved:
- Working relationships with direct reports (reported by 77% of executives)
- Working relationships with immediate supervisors (71%)
- Teamwork (67%)
- Working relationships with peers (63%)
- Job satisfaction (61%)
- Working relationships with clients (37%)
Organizational Benefits: In the same study of 100 executives, benefits to their companies included improvements in:
- Productivity (reported by 53% of executives)
- Organizational strength (48%)
- Retaining executives who received coaching (32%)
- Cost reductions (23%)
- Bottom-line profitability (22%)
- 1Source: Manchester, “Executive Coaching Yields Return on Investment of Almost Six Times Its Costs” , January 4, 2001. MetrixGlobal, “Executive Briefing: Case Study on The Return Investment of Executive Coaching,” November 2, 2001.
- 2Source: Chemistry Business magazine, “The Case for Executive Coaching,” November 2002 International Coach Federation and Linkage, Inc, “Analysis of the 1999 Survey on Coaching in Corporate America”, November 22, 1999
- 3International Coach Federation and Linkage, Inc, “Analysis of the 1999 Survey on Coaching in Corporate America”, November 22, 1999
- 4MetrixGlobal, “Executive Briefing: Case Study on The Return Investment of Executive Coaching,” November 2, 2001.
“I absolutely believe that people, unless coached, never reach their full potential.”
– Bob Nardelli, CEO, Home Depot
“I never cease to be amazed at the power of the coaching process to draw out the skills or talent that was previously hidden within an individual, and which invariably finds a way to solve a problem previously thought unsolvable.”
– John Russell, Managing Director, Harley-Davidson Europe Ltd.
“Many of the world’s most admired corporations, from GE to Goldman Sachs, invest in coaching. Annual spending on coaching in the U.S. Is estimated at roughly $1 billion”.
– HARVARD BUSINESS REVIEW, Nov. 2004
“Coaches are not for the meek. They’re for people who value unambiguous feedback. All coaches have one thing in common. It’s that they are ruthlessly results-oriented.”
– FAST COMPANY Magazine
“[Executives should seek coaching] when they feel that a change in behavior-either for themselves or their team members-can make a significant difference in the long-term success of the organization.”
– Marshall Goldsmith, Fast Company columnist and one of Forbes’ five most respected executive coaches
- Executives, small business owners or business professionals who want to have a bigger impact on their organization. A Total Leadership Performance Coach can help you navigate the ever-increasing complexities of your business in complete confidence.
- Strategic thinkers in companies who see the need to develop not only a deeper bench but also a different kind of bench-one with transformational leaders.
- HR professionals who want to ensure their investment in leadership training pays off and who see coaching as a complement to other performance enhancement programs.
Through coaching, you can expect:
- To be a more effective leader. Why? Because of increased confidence in who you are and a whole new outlook on your leadership abilities.
- To enjoy increased motivation and productivity and a deeper sense of accomplishment.
- To gain increased clarity about your essential strategy for success and be well on your way to implementing your essential strategy. You’ll be building momentum and achieving the positive results you want.
- To become equipped in successfully “managing up,” helping your boss or your board support you more fully and be better advocates for you within your organization.
- To understand the power of multiple generations in the work place and how to lead and get the best results from your staff.
- To attain new perspective around what is really holding you back from the success you seek and specific strategies to overcome those obstacles.
Three to six months will get you moving along the path to your success. Six months to a year and you’ll be really practiced at being at your best. And you get some great advantages working with a coach for six months or longer.
- Consider how your life would be different if you were more productive and more satisfied with your professional growth and development.
- Determine the benefit of increased staff retention.
- Cost out the high cost of turnover of that new employee you just brought on board.
- Ask yourself the cost of productivity lost on conflict within your team.
- What is the cost to you — and to those you serve — of not accomplishing what you want to accomplish as a leader?
- What is the opportunity cost of not focusing on improving your leadership at this time?
- Will increased productivity and confidence positively impact your career path?
- Will being a better leader motivate your team to increase productivity?
- Will improving your relationships and communication skills have a positive impact on your effectiveness?
The Game Within Experience
The best way to see the power of The Game Within Experience is to view either short video here and to share the following case study:
- The Game Within collaborated with a client that was moving through a restructuring period. They hired about 12 new employees. They were looking for a unique way to fast-track relationships and chemistry among these new team members while effectively rebuilding the morale of the company. The client turned The Game Within for this change-management function and requested that we provide The Game Within Experience as a way to:
- let teammates get to know each other
- offer a meaningful experience relevant to corporate objectives in an enjoyable setting
- identify up and coming leadership
The Game Within then sat down with the leadership and put together a customized Game Within Experience that included:
- Pre-coaching calls with team leaders
- A company-specific Game Within Experience at the driving range and on the golf course
- A post-round group reflection that included facilitated discussions and application for how participants could take the day’s events and apply them to the workplace. This application was further distilled to the team-by-team level – how can their teams improve? Team members were asked to make commitments at the individual level.
- Dinner and award ceremony from the day’s event
- Post-event coaching calls with leaders
Through this one-day event leaders reported that employees were closer to each other. Teams developed through this experience and leaders gained a new awareness of team dynamics. The experiential combination of golf and Total Leadership Performance were integrated into the fabric of this quickly changing company with speed and depth.
Yes, we recognize that golfers range from elite amateurs to total novices and in some cases first-time golfers. We work with all levels and we make a difference at all levels both on and off the course!
Absolutely! The Game Within provides a nine-hole experience that can be started and completed within a half day.
The Game Within Experience can catalyze organization-wide change when it is first implemented among the senior leadership and then rolled out company wide. We do this in two ways:
- We stagger the timing of the Experience across a week or a month to methodically engage the company as a whole in groups that are facilitated by one or two Game Within Total Leadership Coaches
- We stage a single-day, full-company Game Within Experience that leverages more several Total Leadership Coaches
The Game Within Experience is incredibly versatile. It can be leveraged for the following
- Executive leadership development
- Middle management leadership development
- Sales force development
- Client or prospect cultivation
- Client or prospect appreciation
- Company-wide team building
In each case, The Game Within works with each client to ensure corporate or team-wide objectives are clarified and then pulled through the Total Leadership Process that is developed for the day’s event.
kampioen is designed specifically for senior executives who are seeking to become Total Leaders – leaders who seek to live, work and collaborate at the next level. For each kampioen Journey we limit enrollment to eight executives and their significant others – an ideal number for sharing this experience while offering the benefits of building new, close relationships that last a lifetime.
Absolutely! We have a separate program for spouses/partners of the participants that are blended with full-group activities throughout the journey.
Nine days. Eight nights.